Friday, May 20, 2005

Your Rocking Chair

­The day I found out was the happiest in my life.
Now it's nine months I've spent dreaming of this life that's growing.
Yesterday I found this perfect rocker, so tonight I sit and rock.
I am expecting.

The night they took me kicking and crying from her womb,
I thought I'd left all comfort behind - now held closely in Mommy's arms,
With that familiar rocking motion, I know the greatest comfort in life.
I am baby.

This rocker is now my haven - gently rocking the work day away.
She quietly gazes up at me as her eyelids droop with sleep.
The awesomeness of her trust in me overwhelms my heart with love.
I am mother.

Too big to be cradled anymore, I come and sit here by myself.
Mommy's cooking in the kitchen so she won't see me pretending.
I curl up on the cushion on its seat and remember when I was little.
I am child.

They've since grown up and moved away and I don't sit here like I used to.
Days are busier, work is harder - but the nights I sit for an hour
And read my book as I rock, brighten the coldest winter hours.
I am woman.

What's this! A new little one they say - it takes me back in time.
I remember the old songs as if it were yesterday and softly sing to her -
This amazing little bundle in my old wrinkled hands.
I am Grandma.

Today I found that another of my friends has moved on.
One by one they've left this earth for that better place we've been seeking.
I know my time is coming soon, and as I wait, I rock.
I am tired.

Expectant mother's excitement is born
Baby's tears are wiped away
Mother's tired body is cradled
Child's oldest memories are formed
Woman's cares are lifted
Grandma's joy in life renewed
And the tired are carried forward -
I am your rocking chair.

1996 - Sophia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

cool hit counter